Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Let's Not Be Selfish With Our Blessings

In missions class A3 we talked and read about how God blesses people for the purpose of blessing others. This is a new idea to me. I have been a Christian for as long as I can remember, but I still learn new things about God and about the faith. This new knowledge changes my view of the value we place on material goods. Our American culture is driven by success and the American Dream. This success includes gathering worldly things and having lots of money. Often times we think we have gained all of these possessions all by ourselves, but really God bestowed this blessing upon each one of us. He did this for a specific reason and it is not just to make everyone happy and to reward them for doing good things. In fact, we don't deserve it at all, but he gives theses blessings to us anyway because He has a greater purpose: to bless others, especially those who go without. Our culture does not idolize this however. It does not idolize generosity and selflessness, which is what God calls us to be as Christians who are blessed.
In order for me to apply and live our what I have learned, I should give more to the poor and spend more time with them, helping them. As a blessed person, I can give time and money to the less fortunate. In James chapter 2, the bible says to take care of the poor and to treat them equally and love them as your neighbor and as you love yourself. God has been really trying to speak to me about this because this is the 3 or fourth time this topic of helping the poor has risen in conversation, at school, and in chapel. I will make an honest effort to be a doer of the word and actually do what GOd's will is for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment